Saturday, September 12, 2009

Kauai Sucks...

So Kauai sucks and I definitely recommend that no one ever come here.


Seriously though, I'm 28 weeks pregnant and after the summer we've had we felt it was time for a vacation. For those of you who remember, we headed to Hawaii for ten days two weeks before we got married. At that time, we got Hawaiian Airline Miles Cards and started to rack up our points. I hate paying an annual fee for a credit card so before this years fee, I cashed in our miles, canceled the cards and coordinated 2 weeks off from work. And yes, I do work (for those of you who are wondering how we manage to do so much)...I'm just working from my remote office sometimes! Everything supposedly changes once you have a kid, so we're enjoying Babymoon 2009: Our Last Couples Vacation. Our itinerary consists of 1 week on Kauai, 1 week on Maui and then two more nights on Kauai again before returning home.

We arrived on Thursday. Sara picked us up from the airport and we met Grant at their home. Grant and Sara are homies from Bellingham who moved here two years ago. Actually, we were leaving as they were arriving (two years ago) and we literally high fived in the airport. We dropped off our baggage and headed to Happy Hour with their Kauai crew. They've met some great friends since being here who welcomed us readily. Friday, Grant and Sara headed to work while Juddy and I went to Shipwreck Beach and started a 3 mile hike along the cliffs. It was beautiful, cool (because it was still early) and exactly what I needed to start off our vacation. The waves crashed against the rocky cliffs. The sun rose from the east. We found an awesome "bonsai" tree clinging for life on a cliff. And the naturally made cave. It was just awesome. We happened upon a few other hikers who told us about a sink whole where, just recently, archiologists had found 10,000 year old artifacts. We hiked around the sink whole, took pictures of flowers and headed back. After hiking, we hit Costco and bought food and snacks for the week so that eating out for every meal wouldn't be an issue. Then we napped and headed to the beach. After Sara and Grant got back from work, we headed BACK to the beach so Grant could catch a few waves and Sara could swim a little. Meanwhile, Juddy and I watched the sunset over the endless ocean.

Saturday, Grant, Sara, Juddy and I headed to Polihole beach, an amazing stretch of sand beaches on the northwest wide of the island. We played in the waves, read, napped, tried to save a stuck family of tourists in the sand and flew a trainer kite for kite surfing. Juddy also surfed while we watched him get worked by the waves. Afterwards, we headed to one of their Kauai crew's house's for a homemade pizza party. Mama Bear can't keep up like she used to, so after we ate I headed home to sleep.

Sunday, everyone except me, went golfing. At $9 for unlimited holes, how could I deny Juddy?! I headed to the beach with the last of the Twilight series. I applied my sun block but not in the right order and definitely not enough...I cooked! Since then it has been all about moisterizing, moisterizing, moisterizing!! When Juddy got back, we got cleaned up and went to a Luau. The Luau was cool, the food was delicious (Juddy and I both went back for seconds of the Kolua Pig) and the setting spectacular. It was something that we are happy we can check off "the list" however, it's not something I would do again. There are so many cool things to see and do in Kauai and I'm not sure that the Luau trumps some of the other options. Today, Grant and Sara were back to work and Juddy and I jumped in our rental car and headed up the Whimea Canyon: the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. The views were breathtaking and we hit everything just early enough before the clouds started rolling in. My sun burn was anything except minor, but I powered through it. We even went for a 2 mile hike at the top of the canyon, which with the heavy breathing and tretcherous trail (i.e. one mis-step and you could fall to your doom) kept my mind off of my unfortunate skin condition (don't worry....Radler is fine...(s)he is enjoying the slightly elivated temperature!). Juddy and Grant are playing golf now (at a different corse...this one is $10!!!) and Sara and I are planning dinner. We're heading to Hanalei Bay tonight (my aunt and uncle have opened their home to us as well), but not until after one more dinner feast with our Bellingham Homies. They have been so gracious and it's been awesome to be able to spend some qulity time with them. I'll make sure to keep you updated as Babymoon 2009: Our Last Couples Vacation continues...

Hugs, loves, kisses and snuggles~ Danielle, Juddy, and Radler

No comments:

Post a Comment